Brussels sprouts – you either love or hate them. Admittedly, I must place myself in the second category and – yet – today, I am publishing a recipe in which everything revolves around the smallest of all cabbage types. Alas, this means one thing: it is a recipe that will bring even those who despise Brussels sprouts to their knees.
You might ask yourself why I insist on eating vegetables that I basically don’t like at all. It is the nutrients that motivate me: Brussels sprouts are a real vitamin C bomb! 112 milligrams of this vitamin are found in 100g Brussels sprouts alone – which easily exceeds the daily dose recommended by experts. It is also beneficial for the digestive tract: bitter substances contained in Brussels sprouts soothe the gastric mucosa and the fiber ensures long-lasting energy and supports intestinal activity. In addition, Brussels sprouts are a particularly digestible type of cabbage that usually does not cause gas or stomach pain.
Years of research on Brussels sprouts led me to hypothesize the elements of a perfect recipe:
- Brussel sprouts are better baked than cooked
- Brussel sprouts need both, acidity and sweetness
- Everything tastes better with bacon
Hypotheses are there to be verified – grab the Brussels sprouts and test it for yourself!
AYA Recipe: Sheet Pan Brussel Sprouts
- 1 kg Brussels sprouts
- 2 pears
- 2 tablespoons of coarse-grained mustard
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp butter softened
- 50 g diced bacon
- 50 g hazelnuts roughly chopped
- Salt pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C (convection) oven
- Prepare Brussels sprouts and cook in plenty of salted water for about 3 minutes.
- Sieve and drain the Brussels sprouts.
- In the meantime, core the pears and cut into cubes, approx. the size of your fingertip.
- Mix the Brussels sprouts, pear cubes, mustard, vinegar and butter in a bowl.
- Spread the Brussels sprouts mixture on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Spread the coarsely chopped hazelnuts and the diced bacon evenly on the baking tray
- Bake the Brussels sprouts in the middle of the oven for 35 minutes.
- If necessary, season with salt and pepper